Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Cow Swimming Pool

Talk about the life of Reilly, or Daisy, or Old Bossy...these cows have some fabulous owners who damned up a pool for them, diverting a little nearby stream.

It was so beastly hot and there they were, lowing softly and just standing around in the cool water in the later afternoon.
I almost wanted to jump in too!

This old barn with the wonderful texture and rusted implements is beautiful to me. Maybe I am kin to Oscar the Grouch who used to sing, "Oh I love trash. Anything dirty or dingy or dusty.  Anything ragged or rotten or rusty."

Well, okay, I don't like anything rotten.

I love this abandoned farm house, which we passed after the cow pool. I don't find such a house spooky or scary. Maybe the house is a bit sad, as it thinks of the lives once sheltered there with only mice, hoot owls, and other furry creatures to keep it company now. 

I always wonder who was the last person to close the door, to take down the curtains, and to say goodbye. What was the last meal eaten 'round the table? Cornbread and beans? A Sunday chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and sweet corn? Was it during the Depression or during World War II - so hard to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment