Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Chopsticks Have Nothing Profound to Say

An unexpected witticism always charms me. I wonder who thought to print this on disposable chopsticks because he or she must be rather special.

Noodle shops have been all the rage in New York City for over ten years.  Recently, these restaurants have been popping up here in Tidewater, Virginia. We headed across the River to Norfolk last night to Noodles and Company.
Fresh and flavorful with a surprising heat that snuck (yes, I know that isn't grammatically correct) up on me. 

After dinner we walked to Farm Fresh for some groceries.  Along the way, we passed my favorite, "Little Dog Diner."  Years ago, this was the Donut Dinette.  It was open only for breakfast and lunch.

In the evenings, we would see an employee through the windows of the closed diner, making donuts for the next morning.  A dear little white dog with a patch of black over one eye sat watching his master.  He would sit on a chrome and red leatherette seat at the lunch counter.

I wonder if that employee ended up purchasing the Dinette, re-naming it The Little Dog Cafe.  The building has been on that Colley Avenue corner since before WW II.

We walked on in last night's relative warmth to pick up a few things; cream cheese, cilantro, Brussels sprouts, green seedless grapes, and bananas, if you must know.

Farm Fresh always has beautiful flowers and last night was no exception.
 And these...
I love to photograph them and then go home to make an arrangement from my yard.  This time of year I use budding trees. Afterwards, I congratulate myself on saving $10.

As Robert Herrick said, 

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may, 
  Old Time is still a-flying: 
And this same flower that smiles to-day 
  To-morrow will be dying. 
 
The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,         5
  The higher he 's a-getting, 
The sooner will his race be run, 
  And nearer he 's to setting.

(It isn't poetic to gather tree branches.)

No comments:

Post a Comment