Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Springing Forward

I love falling back, but springing forward?  Not so much. Seems like I have the hardest time adjusting. Instead of being impatient with myself, I decided to go with my body's rhythm and work on routine things early this week. 

My breakfasts have been horrible lately!  Bagels, toast, English muffins, etc.  Now bagels are quite yummy, but they are terrible for my diabetic system.  In fact, a lot of what I have been eating this winter has been less-than-optimal for my body.

I forgot my supplements when I left for vacation.  I've been back since January 5, over two months, and haven't taken krill oil, garlic tablets, Vitamin C, and alpha lipoic acid since.  As you can imagine, I haven't been feeling tip top.  Today, I started back on them.

Susan Street publishes an amazing fashion blog for older women. Susan is exquisite, as far as I am concerned, but she is also fearless in pointing out what she perceives are "problem areas" and how to dress around them.  Susan is largely vegan in her eating and has some great tips. She's lost 40 pound and kept it off for quite a long time.  

Here's a synopsis of Susan's transformation in an interview:
Susan Street

And a link to her interesting, entertaining, and well written blog:
Susan Street Blog

Lest you think that her life has always been all sunshine and roses, if you read a few posts back, you will learn that she was once homeless.

If I don't take care of myself, no one else will. I started back on my go-to breakfast from 2016: an egg poached on a bed of cooked vegetables. First, I caramelize some onions in a non-stick pan.  This morning I heated a cup and a half of spinach leftover in the fridge. Then I added the egg and a scant amount of mozzarella cheese.  I turned the flame down to low, added a lid, and answered some email while it cooked.

This egg breakfast cooks perfectly each time and is much more healthful for me. On Sunday evening, I realized that the only fruit or vegetable I consumed all day was a slice of tomato on an egg sandwich!  Holy colon cancer, Batgirl!  Unhealthy habits often sneak up on me.

The American Cancer Society recently released some sobering statistics.  Colon cancer is two times more likely to occur in Millennials than in the 1950s.  Rectal cancer is four times as likely. This puts the instance of colo-rectal cancers back to similar statistics in the late 1800's!  Colon and Rectal Cancer Increasing in Young People

The famous Cleveland Clinic is conducting a study to scientifically determine the reasons for this change.  Many physicians feel that the increase is due to decreased dietary fiber.  GMO food and other unhealthful food with additives which the current generation consumes vs. the 1950 US diet is another possible factor.  So no more "single slice of tomato" days for me!

                                             Organic veggies from the Baltimore Farmers Market.  It is beautiful...  

Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.  (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

I don't think God wants a flabby, unfit, exhausted, and unwell house.

No comments:

Post a Comment